Competency 1.0 Professionalism 12.5%
Practice in accordance with the Canadian Society of Nutrition Management’s Code of Ethics
• Describe the need for professional development
• Identify the goals and objectives of CSNM
• Define conflict of interest
• Describe methods for addressing conflict of interest
• Identify legislation regarding confidentiality with patients, clients, employers and peers
• Describe methods/guidelines for maintaining confidentiality
• Describe the impact and consequences, including basic legal aspects of confidentiality
• Describe problem solving and decision making processes.
• Describe management styles
• Describe leadership styles
• Compare and contrast the difference between leaders and managers.
• Describe techniques of time management
• Describe the concept of accountability
• Describe rationale for dress and work codes
• Explain strategies for becoming oriented to a new situation.
• Describe the concepts of dependability and initiative
• Differentiate among assertive, aggressive and passive behaviours
• Describe non verbal and verbal communication
• List techniques for assessing effectiveness of communication
• Describe the principles and techniques of effective listening
• Describe persuasion
• Describe strategies for preparing oral presentations
• Develop appropriate grammar, punctuation, spelling and writing techniques
• Describe techniques for locating and using resources and references
• Describe the steps for planning, conducting and evaluating a meeting
• Describe the forms of communication available and their appropriateness in different situations.
• Identify IT applications in the workplace
• Describe multimedia communication
Competency 2.0 Quality Management 12.5 %
Understand and describe good management practices related to Government standards, quality management and risk controls.
• Describe the rational for establishing quality management programs.
• Describe components of quality management programs
• Describe government regulations, codes and programs relating to quality management.
• Describe the role of regulatory agencies
• Outline strategies for maintaining standards for quality management
• Describe protocols for responding to emergency disaster situations
• Outline the seven basic steps in a HACCP program
• Describe appropriate documents and verification programs.
• Define risk analysis
• Describe risk analysis and its role in food hazards
• Describe the food supply chain risk of food hazards and steps involved in food recall.
Competency 3.0 Nutrition and Healthy Living 12.5 %
Demonstrate knowledge of nutrient composition of foods, nutritional needs of the healthy population, healthy living and current issues in nutrition.
• Describe the functions of key nutrients. List the sources of key nutrients
• Describe the process of digestion and metabolism
• Describe how nutrients are effected by food preparation and processing
• Determine the nutritional value of food using current technology
• Identify available resources to collect nutrient composition of foods
• Calculate nutrient content of foods and daily intakes
• Calculate energy value of foods based on carbohydrates, protein and fat content.
• Identify current issues in food and nutrition
• Discuss and/or present a current issue in food and nutrition
Competency 4.0 Clinical Nutrition 12.5 %
Demonstrate knowledge of medical nutrition by describing components of nutritional assessment process, developing nutrition care plans, writing or adjusting menus to meet diet requirements, monitoring client food intake and acceptance, describing the principles of diet counselling, documenting client information and describing the role of the Food and Nutrition Manager as a member of the health care team.
• Describe the common conditions which require nutritional supplements
• Identify frequently used nutritional supplements and describe their common uses.
• Describe the principles of nutritional screening
• Describe the components of the nutritional assessment process
• Describe how components of screening and assessment are used to develop nutrition care plans.
• Describe the principles and procedures involved in developing the nutrition care plan.
• Describe how various disease states affect nutrient metabolism and nutritional needs.
• Describe the diet modifications based on accepted dietary practice for common conditions.
• Describe methods for monitoring food intake and acceptance
• Describe the different interviewing techniques for clients
• Describe the principles of diet counselling
• Describe procedures for documenting client information
• Describe legal and ethical considerations involved in documenting client information
• Identify members of a multidisciplinary health care team and their role in decision making
• Describe the role of the Food and Nutrition Manager as a member of the health care team.
Competency 5.0 Food Service Systems Management 12.5 %
Demonstrate knowledge of menu planning, functions related to procurement and inventory control systems, demonstrate knowledge of food preparation techniques, quality control and production systems, development of work and production schedules, describe preventative maintenance requirements, demonstrate knowledge of safety and sanitation procedures of the Food Service Department.
• Describe the principles of menu planning
• b. Identify different types of menus
• Apply nutrition knowledge into menu planning
• Identify clinical nutrition principles to adjust master menu for modified diets
• Identify resources for making diet modifications to the master menu.
• Describe the use of grades, standards and government regulations.
• Identify key functions and processes for purchasing, receiving and storing.
• Describe the budget implications related to procurement
• Describe inventory control systems and procedures.
• Describe security systems for inventory
• Describe the budget implications related to inventory control
• Describe the use and performance of equipment commonly used in food service systems.
• Identify operational considerations which affect equipment and small wares needs.
• Describe budget procedures for procurements.
• Describe standards and specifications for equipment procurement.
• Identify sources of information about equipment available in the marketplace.
• Describe options for equipment procurement.
• Differentiate between operating and capital purchases.
• Describe different food preparation techniques and their applications in quantity food productions.
• Describe quality food standards and their use in quality control including outsourced products.
• Describe methods for forecasting production.
• Describe processes for developing production schedules and work schedules.
• Describe production systems/technologies used in food services.
• Describe procedures for developing and standardizing recipes.
• Describe criteria and methods for evaluating recipes.
• Develop recipes addressing operational considerations.
• Describe key factors in effectively monitoring the service and distribution of food.
• Describe the importance of ensuring customer service excellence.
• Explain the rationale for cleaning and sanitation programs
• Describe preventative maintenance and requirements and responsibilities for equipment and facilities.
• Describe government regulations, codes and programs relating to safety and security.
• Describe the role of regulatory agencies.
• Outline strategies for maintaining standards for safety and security.
• Describe the importance of building constructions and facility design in maintaining a safe, sanitary and secure environment.
• Describe opportunities for revenue generation and/or catering.
• Describe basic concepts of merchandising.
• Describe the concept of strategic planning
• Describe the concept of goal setting and objectives
• Describe characteristics of a policy and procedures.
• Describe the purpose and components of a policy and procedure manual.
• Describe the basic methods of work flow analysis.
• Define the principles of work simplification
• Identify the basic principles of ergonomics including facility design, equipment selection and placement.
• Outline concepts of organizations management
• Describe the purpose of each operational area and its interrelationships.
• Identify resources for products and technology
Competency 6.0 Human Resources Management 12.5 %
Demonstrate knowledge of menu planning, functions related to procurement and inventory control systems, demonstrates knowledge of food preparation techniques, quality control and production systems, development of work and production schedules, describe preventative maintenance requirements, demonstrate knowledge of safety and sanitation procedures of the Food Service Department.
• Describe the role and responsibilities of the Food and Nutrition manager in the staffing process
• Describe the role and responsibilities of the human resources department
• Identify government regulations and/or collective agreement procedures which impact procedures in human resources management
• Describe procedures and rational for recording and maintaining personnel information
• Describe the impact of different types of food service systems on staffing needs
• Describe procedures/ guidelines for determining staffing complements
• Compare the implications of hiring fulltime versus part time staff
• Describe the factors that affect planning staffing schedules
• Describe the procedures for writing job descriptions, routine schedules and performance standards
• Describe theories of motivation and principles of human resources management
• Identify types of management
• Describe techniques for managing conflict resolution
• Identify issues related to working effectively in a culturally diverse workplace
• Describe the collective bargaining process, the collective agreement, management rights, personnel policies and pertinent government regulations which affect the supervision of personnel
• Discuss strategies to determine staff training needs
• Identify types and sources of education sessions and programs which are appropriated for staff development.
• Describe procedures for providing in service education programs
Competency 7.0 Financial/Business Management 12.5 %
Describe financial management principles, performance indicators in cost control systems and in the development, evaluation and revision of budgets.
• Describe financial management systems.
• Describe the procedures involved with cost control systems.
• Describe procedures for collecting and analyzing data for cost control systems
• Describe performance indicators in cost control systems.
• Describe procedures for developing and revising budgets
• Describe financial and other relevant data to use for preparing budgets.
Competency 8.0 Marketing and Promotion 12.5 %
Describe basic concepts of marketing and promotion to enhance the public’s knowledge of food and nutrition.
• Describe the basic concepts of marketing and promotion.
• Describe procedures for developing plans for marketing.
• Describe strategies for evaluating a marketing process.
• Describe the basic concept of merchandising.
• Identify opportunities to enhance the public’s knowledge of food and nutrition.
Total 100.0 %