VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY - COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT_FOOD SECURITY ADVISOR - ETHIOPIA
Community Development / Food Security Advisor
9 Month | Start Date between Dec 2017 - Feb 2018
Location: Harar, Ethiopia
Start Date: Dec 2017 - Feb 2018 (flexible)
Length of Placement: 9 Months
Language Requirements: English
English Reading: Level 5, Writing: Level 5, Speaking: Level 5
Language Scale: http://www.cusointernational.org/languageratingscale
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents only
Due to funder restrictions, support for accompanying partners/dependents is not available for this placement
The Volunteer’s Role
The overall purpose of this placement is to strengthen the community level livelihood, food security and nutrition service provision in East Harrarghe Zone through capacity building and system strenthening in East Harrarghe Government sectors and community-based organizations who are workind with zonal nutrition coordination committee, through Haramaya University.
- Identification of the livelihood and food security mechanisms of the commuity
- Strengthening the livelihood and food security programming capacity of the development workers
As a volunteer, you will:
- Assist in the assessment of the main household livelihoods particularly the food security mechanisms
- Support the capacity building activities for livelihood and food security programming for Zonal, District and Kebele level
- Assist the design and implmentation of household level variety food production interventions
- Support Haramaya University in designing relevant community development interventions
- Promote and assist household consumption of variety nutritious foods including cooking demonstration
Essential Academic Qualifications:
MSc/MA degree preferred in the following fields of study:
- Development Studies, Community Development, Rural Development, Agricultural Economics, Community Nutrition
Essential Professional Background:
Miniumum of three years work experience in designing community development interventions
- Demonstrated work experience in capacity development of agriculture and food security experts
- Experience on household livelihood or food security assessments is an asset
About Our Partner
The main campus of Haramaya University, one of the oldest and biggest universities in Ethiopia, and it is located in East Harrarghe Administrtive Zone of Oromia Regional State, situated at about 20KM from Harrar. The university has 14 different colleges. College of Health and Medical Sciences is found in Harrar City. [Please refer to the detail CAP report developed for the University}. East Harrarghe Administrative Zone is one of the 12 Administrative Zones of Oromia Regional States. It is situated at about 525KM East of Addis Ababa. Harrar, one of the oldest historical and tourist attration city, is the centre of the administrative zone. It is about nine-hour drive from Addis Ababa. There is also air transport from Addis Ababa to Dire Dawa, one of the biggest cities in the country which is 55KM from Harrar.
Terms and Conditions
Cuso International terms and conditions allow you to lead a modest and healthy lifestyle while being effective in your placement. This support package will cover basic living expenses for one volunteer and is not intended to cover home-based expenses (ex. loans, support payments, etc.) or luxury items such as imported items in placement or international personal travel.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return
flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses
and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Bonus: Additional return light home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months
Residency and Citizenship
The majority of Cuso International volunteer applicants are residing in Canada at the time of application and during the pre-departure process. Occasionally we received applications from volunteer applicants who are residing outside of Canada at the time of application. In both instances, between your application date and placement start date, we must be able to contact you and you must be able to contact us easily and promptly throughout the process.
We may require your passport and would need to be aware of your current place of residence and any travel plans you may have during this time. You will also require unrestricted access to Canada during this time for assessment and training, as applicable.
Leaving your country of residence can have significant effects on your citizenship status in that country. It is your responsibility to research the consequences of travelling to Canada during the pre-departure process if you are living outside of Canada and of leaving your country of residence for a placement with the immigration authority where you live.
By applying to this placement, you accept full responsibility for any consequences related to your citizenship, residency and immigration status or penalties as a result of travel to an assessment day, training course, international placement or other Cuso International related travel.
You must check the implications that apply to you, but examples include:
• Canadian permanent residents may need to make arrangements with immigration authorities before travelling. These
arrangements allow them to travel without risk to their status in Canada. Without them, residency status may be withdrawn.
• Citizens of other countries, including those visiting Canada on a visa, may have travel restrictions.
Apply to placement: https://curawebservices.mindscope.com/CUSOIN04387_CURA/Aspx/JobDetails.aspx?lang=en&Job_ID=402