Position Title: Support Services Manager
Job Status: Full Time Regular
Site/Location: Comox Valley Seniors Village – Courtenay, British Columbia
Please apply by sending your resume to: Raymond Tat – email@example.com
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Responsible to the Facility General Manager and in liaison with Manager of Hospitality Support Services, the Support Services Manager is accountable for all operational aspects of assigned areas including: Food Services, Housekeeping, and Laundry Departments. The primary focus of this position includes the coordination, assessment, planning, day to day operations and evaluation of designated services to ensure that each department complies with applicable regulatory licensing standards and those of Retirement Concepts.
The Support Services Manager provides leadership and direction of staff in keeping with Retirement Concepts’ philosophy, principles of quality care, and our responsibility in recognizing the rights of residents.
The Support Services Manager supervises food service, housekeeping, and laundry staff, develops and manages the budget, acts as a professional role model for staff as a member of the management team and promotes the facility within the community at large.
Include but not limited to;
1. Participates in management meetings, contributing to the overall strategic planning process.
2. Develops operational plans and goals for each department consistent with the organization’s mission and strategic plan.
Demonstrates leadership in the analysis of the current situation and future requirements for each service by initiating the
development of specific goals and objectives and setting priorities.
3. Maintains a sound organizational structure to each department. Provides consultation and supervision to staff, establishes
clear definitions of responsibility for each employee, reviews workload assignments and adjust schedules according to workload
to ensure levels meet operational requirements.
4. Monitors work activities to ensure that service standards are maintained.
5. Conducts employee performance reviews and completes appraisals.
6. Participates in the development of the capital and operating budgets for all assigned areas. Demonstrates responsibility for
ensuring adherence to the budget by monitoring expenditures and taking action as required.
7. Ensure invoices are handled according to Financial Department Policy & Procedures.
8. Oversees adherence to and updates standard operating procedures, polices and other related systems.
9. Completes and submits Departmental month end reports and works with the General Manager/Director of Care to use the reports
to improve / maintain the operation of the Support Service Departments.
10. Liaisons and work with Retirement Concepts Management team / Human Resources / Payroll and staff to resolve challenges
including pay cheque, staffing levels, workload challenges etc.
1. In conjunction with the General Manager or Designate recruits, hires, disciplines and terminates Support Service
2. Provides ongoing probationary and annual performance evaluations for all assigned Support Services staff.
3. Administers staff contracts ensuring that functions such as scheduling, overtime and casual work are completed in
accordance with facility and contract requirements. Authorizes overtime, leave of absence and vacation requests where
applicable. Completes required supporting documentation as necessary.
4. Investigates work and staff issues and where necessary initiates disciplinary action up to and including termination. Participates
in the management of grievances and labour relations matters in conjunction with other management team members. Attends
union management meetings.
5. Identifies educational needs for employees; developing, implementing and evaluating staff performance on a regular basis.
1. Trains staff in fire, safety, disaster and injury prevention procedures including training regarding WHMIS procedures.
2. Ensures facility compliance with Occupational Health & Safety standards and other regulatory standards.
3. In conjunction the General Manager, participates in the WCB claims process and return to work programs.
4. Participates in the quality improvement program. Prepares reports, participates in and provides information required by licensing
such as the gathering of information, and the analysis of statistics.
1. Plans, in conjunction with the Manager Hospitality Support Services and consulting Dietician, rotational, seasonal menus in
accordance with the likes, dislikes, nutritional and therapeutic needs of facility residents.
2. Supervision of staff to ensure compliance with Licensing – Residential Care and/or Assisted Living Registrar, Public Health
regulations including food safety/sanitation regulations/requirements and other related governing bodies.
3. Plan, directs and may participate in the preparation and service of high quality food according to standardized recipes,
production / operational requirements, standards, policies and procedures.
4. Develop and/or adjust standardized recipes to ensure required/standard production outcomes including, nutritional & texture
requirements, quantity, portion sizes, palatability and resident satisfaction.
5. Evaluates the meals being served, including performing related audits, to ensure standards of quality and quantity are maintained
and responds to the audit findings and adjusts accordingly.
6. Establishes and maintain production requirements ensuring adequate portions are prepared.
7. Perform and / or oversee the ordering and receiving of consumables and non-consumable items according to established
purchasing procedures and polices.
8. Ensures food safety procedures and related records are maintained and adhered to.
9. Ensures safety and hygiene practices are adhered to and that food preparation and service areas are maintained in a clean
and orderly fashion.
10. Directs preparation of food, testing for palatability and temperature and adjusts accordingly.
11. Oversees / directs portioning of food items to ensure recipe yields meet assigned quantity quotas.
12. Evaluates meals being served by conducting audits, to ensure established standards of quality and quantity are maintained
and, whenever necessary responds to the audit findings and adjusts the dietary program accordingly.
13. Estimates food requirements, places food orders, receives supplies and resolves discrepancies with suppliers.
14. Establishes and ensures the maintenance of food rotations in storage in order to minimize spoilage and waste
15. Analyzes relative food costs and makes purchasing recommendations.
16. Plans and oversees preparation of special meals for facility events in consultation with the activities department.
17. Ensures that the equipment preventative maintenance & cleaning program is current and that records reflect this activity.
18. Performs other related duties as required.
1. Graduation from a recognized two-year program in Food Service Supervision
2. Membership in the Canadian Society of Nutrition Management and/or Registered Dietician mandatory. Eligibility for membership
in CSNM is also acceptable.
3. Experience and interest in working in geriatrics.
4. Managerial Experience
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Strong written and oral communication skills
2. Excellent problem solving skills
3. Good interpersonal skills and ability to effectively interact with the various individuals involved in providing holistic care in
a flexible resident focused environment.
4. Ability to process a high-volume of data accurately and multi-task efficiently in a high paced environment.
5. Ability to work effectively with multiple critical timelines.
6. Demonstration of strong problem solving and customer service skills. Demonstrates responsiveness, flexibility and efficiency
in a dynamic environment.
7. Ability to read, write, and speak English proficiently and understand verbal and written instructions.
Please apply by sending your resume to: Raymond Tat – firstname.lastname@example.org